The most comprehensive training in playground maintenance in the nation!
February 25 (8:00am – 4:00pm) & February 26 (8:00am – 4:00pm)
Cost: $340 Pokagon State Park Nature Center
What is the Playground Maintenance Technician Training Program?
The two-day Playground Maintenance Technician Program (PMT) focuses on practical playground maintenance practices, inspection principles and best practices in making repairs. This program does not focus on play theory or memorizing standards. Course modules explore the maintenance challenges associated with the common materials found in playgrounds, including concrete, metal, wood, plastics, fasteners and various surfacing materials. A virtual playground offers participants the opportunity to apply newly learned skills.
Why is the PMT Special:
The Playground Maintenance Technician Program is designed specifically for front-line staff (and their supervisors) responsible for the hands-on inspection and maintenance of playground equipment. While playground administrator issues such as ASTM playground and accessibility standards are included, the primary focus of the program is on practical maintenance issues such as:
- Playground inspection frequency
- Hazard identification
- How to safely take equipment out-of-service
- Playground documentation
- Working with equipment manufacturers
- Limiting liability
- Maintaining common playground equipment materials
Another distinctive feature of the Playground Maintenance Technician Program is the use of a virtual playground setting to help participants learn more effectively by bringing the playground into the classroom. This instructional tool helps participants to learn within a virtual playground setting to actively identify hazards and address maintenance concerns.
Benefits of the PMT:
- Learn by doing! Hands on learning which combines discussion and virtual environments to understand playground maintenance tasks
- Learn about materials! Learn how to maintain playground equipment made of metal, plastic, wood and concrete
- Learn about safety! Understand how to take damaged equipment out of service safely, keep proper records, and identify potential legal issues related to playground maintenance
- Learn about surfaces! Learn how best to maintain unitary and loose-fill surfaces as well as fasteners and connectors
- Resources to take back to your office! Receive a 250-page textbook, workbook, and upon completion, a Playground Maintenance Technician Certificate
- Cost Effective! Train front-line maintenance staff at an affordable price
- Ensure your equipment lasts through its useful life! Improve playground user safety and prolong the useful life of equipment
While participants will be unable to attend GLPTI sessions during the day on February 25th & 26th, your paid attendance will permit entry into the following GLPTI functions FREE of charge:
- All educational sessions offered on February 24th and 27th
- All social functions, including:
- Bonfire Social (Feb 24th)
- Awards Reception Dinner (Feb 25th)
- Game Night (Feb 26th)